The study will be conducted in multiple sites within one region of Indonesia.
The study sites will be one health center in urban Bandung City (Puskesmas Puter) and one health center in the semi-rural (Puskesmas Jaya Mekar), West Java, Indonesia.
Full details of all centers can be found in the Investigator file.
- · To estimate the overall NP carriage prevalence and densities of pneumococci in Indonesian infants at several time-points in the first year of life
- · To estimate acquisition rates of pneumococcal serotypes in Indonesian infants in the first year of life
- · To determine duration of serotype-specific pneumococcal carriage in Indonesian infants in the first year of life
- · To estimate the serotype-specific carriage prevalence and densities of the pneumococcus in Indonesian infants in the first year of life
- · To summarize serotype distribution in Indonesian infants in the first year of life To evaluate whether any demographic or environmental factors are risk factors for pneumococcal carriage, density and/or number of acquisitions
- To describe the epidemiology, pneumococcal carriage and clinical characteristics of infants in the study cohort diagnosed with pneumonia in the follow-up period (to 12 months of age)